Justin Wilcox was named Washington’s Defensive Coordinator on Sunday.
- The Huskies hired Justin Wilcox as defensive coordinator and Peter Sirmon as their new linebackers coach. Both coaches played together and were roommates at Oregon from 1996 to 1999. They both will leave the same positions they held at the University of Tennessee to come back to the Northwest. Tennessee had the 28th best defense in the country in terms of yards allowed. Bob Condotta from the Seattle Times goes in-depth about the coaches in his story on the hirings.
- Chris Polk is off to the NFL, as expected. NFLDraftScout.com ranks him as the No. 4 running back prospect and the No. 56 overall in their draft rankings. From what I’ve heard, he’ll likely fall in the second or third round.
- Hisashi Iwakuma could be the next player the Mariners sign this offseason. Iwakuma has some upside and has excellent control. I’m still waiting for the M’s to ink Moyer though.
- Red Bryant would like to stay in Seattle even though he’s a free agent this offseason. The 28-year old is one of the team’s biggest priorities in free agency. Resigning Marshawn Lynch is also an important task for John Schneider.
- Tony Wroten was named Pac-12 player of the week after helping the Huskies sweep the Oregon schools this past weekend. Wroten is starting to cut down his turnovers and increase his free-throw percentage — two weaknesses that plagued him during non-conference play. He averaged 21.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal in wins over Oregon and Oregon St.
–Kevin Cacabelos (firstname.lastname@example.org)